Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Travellin' tunes... top ten.

Firstly, sorry about the alliteration... secondly, I thought to myself this morning, 'how ready am I for the open road?' Maybe I'm not quite back in the groove of things, but roadtrip season is fast-approaching -- I know this because folks have been grumbling that the Yellowstone trip we made a pact on will slip through our fingers like a kid's greased face from between stair balusters.

Perhaps I'm too quick to tag Yellowstone as a curious kid who knows better, but I came to the stark realization that few of the planning bases have been covered. How about the five w's? Or the timeless college kid thoughts: how can I afford it? (This last one may already be solved if we can truley fit all of us fraternity men into one rig next to the mountain of sandwiches we're sure to bring.) Possibly more important than all those minor details is what would we possibly want to listen to on the 8 hours 24 minutes of driving (one way). I don't plan on strong-arming a monopoly over the radio by any means, but I figure I needed to do my part in tunage contribution.

Here's what I've come up with, so far:


The Band - The Weight
This might be my favorite for the early morning trek. I'm not a huge fan of Easy Rider, but the soundtrack is one of a kind.

Dispatch - Two Coins
What's cooler than Dispatch? It's hard to listen to them and be upset at the same time.

Dobie Gray - Drift Away
Drift Away has a good feel to it. Stressing out and this song aren't compatible, but driving long-distances and this song definitely are.

Paul McCartney - Heart of the Country
It's feel good, and that's what travelling needs.

Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels
Not too into all the lyrics here, but sometimes I just crave a harmonica -- especially with my feet propped up out of the passenger-side window. It's true.

John Mark McMillan -
Death In His Grave
This link is to a short video clip of the song being played, but I still think the grip of how awesome this song is remains evident.

Mark Mathis - Wasteland
These lyrics and I have shared a lot of thoughts in the last year, and I'm all about not talking sometimes just to be pensive and reminisce for a bit.

The Primitives - Crash (The '95 Mix)
I stole this idea from Dumb & Dumber, which is timeless as far as movies go.

Las Ketchup - Asereje (The coolest version, which somehow may only exist on my itunes)
I can't seem to find the amazing version I have online, but that's ok. I tried to figure out how this song fits, but all I could come up with was that it's plain old amazing...only the cool version, though...take my word for it.

The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun
This song might just say it all. Maybe it's cliche that I threw this on here, but don't judge. The song stands for its self.

1 comments:

Rylie Sedustine said...

You definitely rank in the Top 3 for World's Best Roadtrip DJs.

Post a Comment