Monday, February 15, 2010

Moscow consignment store stocks retro threads

A day well spent is often a day well adventured. In this same endeavoring spirit, Rylie and I thought it might be wise to hop on the Wheatland Express and explore Moscow once more, so we met up in the morning and got on the bus just in time to leave Pullman.

Because our stomachs were getting the best of us, we made an unplanned stop at Moscow Bagel on Main Street to refuel before continuing our browse of the city.

Upon being greeted by the aromas of steamed bagel concoctions and fresh ingredients, my thoughts were consumed by the prospect of an "Egg McMahon" feast, loaded-up with scrambled egg, sausage and choice American cheese -- all sandwiched on an everything bagel.

When we went to check-out, one of the guys working there asked me where I procured my ancient Wrangler western shirt. He asked if I made the purchase at The Storm Cellar, as he thought he'd seen the shirt there recently. I politely replied that I had found it at a second-hand store in Walla Walla over the break...but "Storm Cellar? What's that?" I asked. The employee told me that it was a consignment store and to go and check it out. Located near Sister's Brew, it wasn't more than a 70-80 second stroll away, so Rylie and I made the small trek.

When I first set foot in there, I was greatly blown-away. Maybe it was the fact that everything I ever look for in a reasonable thrift store was all that was available there and in good stock and condition, or possibly it was how clean and orderly the store was, but overall I made an instant connection with the store. Imagine the best finds you've ever uncovered in a second-hand store or consignment store. Now imagine that all of those finds were centrally located in one store -- a store featuring hand-chosen items that are all worthy of garnering your attention. Maybe it's odd to compare a consignment store to an album, but The Storm Cellar is basically the 'greatest hits album' of second-hand stores without a doubt.

And, to complete that thought, just as I had picked out the shirt I was wearing in second-hand store as one picks out a diamond in the rough, I found what was basically the cousin to what I was wearing (a quick peak to the right in this photo might explain that one a bit better.) Point proven, I think. This store basically has it all -- Vintage SLR cameras, folk instruments, retro house-ware type stuff, hats, shoes, boots, local goods and crafts, and other desirables. If you get a chance, stop in there. The prices are really affordable and the amazing finds are abounding.

After taking it all in, Rylie and I headed over to Sister's Brew to sit, relax and drink coffee. Nothing beats unwinding from a week than chilling in a coffee shop on a rainy afternoon with good coffee and good conversation. Overall, the trip was good and an ideal, fun and inexpensive way to spend a Friday.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys rock! Thanks for reviewing the store.

Post a Comment