Monday, March 22, 2010

Travel Memoirs


The other day I was thinking about the books that have positively changed my life the most, and interestingly enough, several of those are all about people on the road or going off the beaten path. So here's my Reading Rainbow breakdown for you:

Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck - I'm a big Steinbeck fan, that's all there is to it. This story is no exception to Steinbeck's catalog of masterpieces. Covering 10,000 miles of American roadway in a pick-up/camper combo called Rocinante with a big poodle riding shotgun might be the ultimate life-quest. My admiration for adventure doesn't stop short with the basic idea of his 1960 mission to get the scoop on the heart American culture. Steinbeck bore witness to scenes that are never discovered at 30,000 feet above ground in a bulky jet. Road-tripping is great. But writing all about it afterward and sharing it with the rest of the world is better.

The Zanzibar Chest by Aidan Hartley - It pains me to admit I still have yet to finish this one. My reason lies solely in the inability to renew inter-library loaned items. You might wonder why this is on my list, considering I haven't actually finished it. I can say that what I've read so-far is amazing. The story in a nutshell is phenomenal. A journalist raised in the plains of Kenya and amidst the dangers of war zones, parallels his stories of covering conflict in East Africa during the '90s while examining the life of his father's friend who was mysteriously murdered while serving in Arabia during WWII. Hartley's discovery of his father's Zanzibar chest led to his find of this story, rarely spoken of by late-father during his up-bringing. It's a gripping, often gritty and tough, and fascinating memoir of traveling the African Continent and documenting history as it happens and as it happened.

Hope in the Dark by Jeremy Cowart and Jena Lee - Hope in the Dark is a photobook with profound statements, both through image and written word interwoven throughout its pages. I've never been more messed up in my spirit over a book with so few words than when I opened up this book. I say messed up because it left me feeling uncomfortable, but in the most positive of ways. In Hope in the Dark, Cowart and Lee examine the human existence in some of the poorest places on this planet through lens and text. It's raw and often tough to wrap one's mind around because of its simple and poignant offering of a new perspective - a new perspective on suffering, hope, joy, sadness, injustice and reconciliation in places void of vacationers and high-rises, and yet abounding in shanties and tin-roof homes. I challenge anyone to read this and not have a new compassion for the fellow person, as I doubt it's possible.

The Journey is the Destination: The Journals of Dan Eldon by Kathy Eldon, Dan Eldon - I think Dan Eldon had something with "The journey is the destination." When I see this quote it makes me realize that sometimes it isn't about where you're planning on going, but how you get there. Eldon's extensive photography and art are exhibited in this compilation of his life-work; a veritable treasure trove of journal-based masterpieces and writings. Chronicling Eldon's short but amazing life, The Journey is the Destination is a testament of a young photojournalist/artist discovering life in some of the most dangerous and hostile environments in the world. His witty annotations and reflections are both humorous and incredibly thought-provoking. Getting your nose into this book is highly recommended.


Just Ramblin' by Vance Orchard - I used to read this at my grandma's house. I assure you this is one of the most fun browses of a book you can have on a Saturday morning. It goes really well with vinyl records playing in the next room, chex-party mix within reach and on a sunny, cozy day at home. This book is basically all about Orchard "just ramblin'" around northeastern Oregon and southeastern Washington. This book is a winner, as I'm fully fascinated by ghost towns, dinosaur fossil discoveries, first-hand accounts of the old west (Orchard got all sorts of good interviews with the aged versions of those who tamed the West in the late 50s and 60s), and basically all the stuff in his book. It's definitely out of print, but the link I put up for this one might help out.


(Insert Lavar Burton quote here)

0 comments:

Post a Comment